It’s the political season again, and we are being bombarded by attack ads, many of which are so gross they insult our intelligence. Whether they insult us or not, for any ethical person and surely even more for people of faith, there are eight reasons we should reject attack ads.
1. They are filled with lies, exaggerations, and misrepresentations.
2. They rely upon the public’s ignorance of the candidates and the issues.
3. They appeal to the worst side of human nature, hoping to hit hot buttons and stir anger, and resentment that will destroy their opponent’s chances to win.
4. They are unethical.
5. They are immoral.
6. They are unfair; the ones under attack have no opportunity to defend themselves.
7. They contribute to the public’s loss of confidence in all politicians, and sadly, to the political process itself.
8. They are not Christian. Christians are “not to be deceived, but to speak the truth in love” (Ephesians 4:14-15).
Christian citizenship obligates us to vote and vote intelligently. Unfortunately, attack ads do not help us in this respect. “Truthful words stand the test of time, but lies are soon exposed” (Proverbs 12:19).