“I’m proud I’m humble enough to wash feet,” the lady said at the testimonial service. How mistaken can we be? Anytime we are proud we are humble, we aren’t—we’re just proud.
One of the best things we can learn from trouble is humility. Humility, according to God’s word, is considering others as better than ourselves, or seeing ourselves as God sees us. In our highly competitive society, it is a rare quality. However, it is a quality greatly to be desired:
• To be like Jesus who was humble in heart (Matt. 11:29)
• To receive God’s grace (Prov. 3:34)
• Because God guides the humble (Ps. 25:9)
• Because with humility comes wisdom (Prov. 11:2)
• Because humility comes before honor (Prov. 15:33)
• Because God exalts the humble and humbles the exalted (Matt. 25:12). The way up is down.
• Because humility can open the door to God’s forgiveness and healing. “If my people who are called by name shall humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land” (2 Chron. 7:14).
PRAYER: O Lord, help us to humble ourselves.
Dr. Robert Wilkerson is a minister, writer, and public speaker. He is president of People for the Christian Way, and lives in Birmingham, Alabama. email@example.com